Housing Connect can help you if you live in social housing and need to move to another social housing property. They will assess your need to move to another social housing property.
You should also check with your current social housing provider before contacting Housing Connect. Housing Connect will work with your current social housing provider and other social housing providers to find a safe, suitable property to meet your needs.
You must have lived in your social housing property for 12 months before you can move to another social housing property.
What if I need to move urgently?
You can call Housing Connect on 1800 800 588 or you can go to one of their five outlets in Tasmania.
Housing Connect can help if you need to move urgently because:
- you are living in housing that is unsafe or unsuitable including for health or mobility reasons
- you or a person you live with is a safety risk to themselves or others or there is a third-party threat where you live.
There are many people in urgent need of social housing and a safe, suitable social housing property may not be found immediately. This may mean you move to another type of housing for a short time until another social housing property can be found.
You will have to provide information about your circumstances to show that you need to move urgently.
What if I need to move for other reasons?
If you do not need to move urgently, Housing Connect can help if you are moving because:
- your household situation has changed or is changing
- your work or study location has changed, or you need to move closer to services you need
- your health or mobility is deteriorating and your future housing needs will be different.
You should check with your current social housing provider before contacting Housing Connect. They may be able to help with a vacant social housing property that meets your needs.
You can request to move because you want to live somewhere else. However, there are many people in need of social housing and not enough social housing properties for all the people who need them. This means it can take a long time for a property to become vacant that would suit your needs.
Social housing providers
Homes Tasmania provides social housing statewide. Social housing is also provided by:
- Centacare Evolve Housing
- Mission Australia
- Salvation Army Housing
- Community Housing Limited
- Housing Choices.
If you need to transfer to another social housing property, you should check with your current social housing provider.
To apply for a transfer, you must show that you:
- live in Tasmania, not another state or territory
- are an Australian citizen
- are a permanent resident including refugee visa subclasses 200, 201, 202, 203 and 204
- are 16 years or older
- are a low-income earner who is eligible for a Commonwealth Health Care Card
- do not own land or a home of your own
- do not have financial assets worth more than $35 000. This includes things such as shares, property and money in the bank. This amount includes your assets and the assets of any other people who live in your household. It does not include things such as your car or your household items.
You cannot transfer to another social housing property if your tenancy has ended.